Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Kingfisher Sprint  >  how much is this worth?
0 Members Browsing (1 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print
  Author    how much is this worth?  (currently 400 views)
Rob Westgarth
Posted on: October 18th, 2008, 20:47:15 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Hi all Im new to this site!

I have been offered a Kingfisher kit car but not sure on the price so wondered if i could get some help?

all i know is that its a kingfisher sprint on an old Y plate with a mg metro 1275 turbo engine, and nice compomotive wheels.

the general condition is good, but has an issue with the paint its a bit crazy paving i have been told it is normal due to the make of its shell fibre glass or something???

but i dont know what is a good price? for this car?

and ideas?
Logged Offline
Private Message
admin
Posted on: October 18th, 2008, 22:33:33 Quote Report to Moderator
Team Member Administrator

I have a feeling I know which one this is.

It's very difficult to say what a Kingfisher is worth because there are so few of them, but on the other hand they're not particularly sought after. Is it on the road? What's it worth to you?

Make sure the "crazy paving" is only in the paint. If the cracks go into the gelcoat then they are laborious to repair. You can't paint over gelcoat cracks because they will come through.
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 1 - 7
Rob Westgarth
Posted on: October 19th, 2008, 12:25:15 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

thanks for your reply!

the car reg is HOD XXX Y if that helps.

I do beleive its the gel coat thats the issue would it be expensive to get resprayed if so?

the guy is asking £3500. and whilst the car looks very nice it dose need work.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 7
admin
Posted on: October 19th, 2008, 13:57:56 Quote Report to Moderator

You can always get a cheap respray, but if there are any underlying cracks they will start to come through in about six months' time. To do the job properly you really need to widen out all the cracks down to the matting and fill them in with gelcoat filler. If there's an area of very bad crazing there are other things you can do, but it's hard work. It's best if you can do the preparation yourself and then get the car resprayed.

You can get the paint breaking up, particularly if the car has been outside for a long time or under a tarpaulin, in which case you only need to strip it down to a sound layer. The problem may not be as bad as it seems. Gelcoat cracks are not normal with age but result from stresses caused by impacts, rough treatment, etc. The gelcoat becomes more brittle with age whilst the glass fibre underneath remains flexible, hence the cracks.

I can't comment on the price because I may know the other party involved and I don't know what if any restoration has been carried out. It comes down to what it's worth to you and how it compares with, say, a Mini Marcos in similar condition.
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 3 - 7
Rob Westgarth
Posted on: October 19th, 2008, 18:40:52 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

thank you for your help and advice.

as per the price i just want to know if its a reasonable asking price or if i should haggle a bit. i have not seen any of these else where so dont know any bench mark.

i like the car so will buy it just want come closure for my self on the price.

so if it were you buying it if its the one you think would you pay the asking ?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 7
Peter Bremner
Posted on: November 4th, 2008, 11:34:49 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Did you buy the Kingfisher?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 7
Rob Westgarth
Posted on: November 4th, 2008, 20:26:06 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Hi, no not yet, im still not 100% on the price and the respray and mot lark

its a lot of money for me and if it needs load for mot etc...

i cant seem to find a bench mark for the price.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 7
admin
Posted on: November 5th, 2008, 15:39:13 Quote Report to Moderator

That's often the case with cars with very low production runs. Th Kingfisher wasn't successful probably because Mr. king spent too much time tampering with the design instead of going out and selling it. So rarety doesn't increase the car's value and you could reasonably use Mini Marcos prices as a guide. One thing to bear in mind is that the back window is from a Datsun 120Y and they're like hens' teeth to get hold of. The windscreen is (obviously) VW Beetle and should be no problem.
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 7 - 7
Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Kingfisher Sprint  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules