Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Sport  >  Woodbridge Stages
0 Members Browsing (2 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print
  Author    Woodbridge Stages  (currently 377 views)
jimnaylor
Posted on: January 28th, 2013, 19:23:19 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Not having driven a rally for the last 2 years because of other commitments, I was getting withdrawal symptoms and started to look back at some of my last events. So I've uploaded the video of the marcos at on it's last event to YouTube if anyone wants to view it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj6-guHkH6o

I've also decided to do at least a couple of events this year if I can find time to prepare the car and persuade my navigator out of retirement!

Last modified January 28th, 2013, 19:49:04 by jimnaylor
Logged Offline
Private Message
Allan Brown
Posted on: January 29th, 2013, 22:17:05 Quote Report to Moderator
Team Member Administrator

Hi Jim,

I am Co-driving in a Peugeot 205 this year. We are doing the ACSMC championship the only round we wont be doing is TSH Stages in Portreath. It would be great to see you at one or more of the other events.
There is a chance I might convert my Mini Marcos into a rally car for next year and drive myself.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 2
jimnaylor
Posted on: January 31st, 2013, 14:55:19 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Hi Alan,

Exactly what events we do rather depends on our commitments but certainly Down Ampney and Woodbridge are on my list of possibles. Down Ampney because the only time I went there I blew a head gasket right at the start of stage 2. I'd like to finish it!. So hopefully we will see each other somewhere.

As for converting your MM for rallying that would be great, I still think its a potential class winner in the right hands. Unfortunately I'm too old and slow now for that to be realistic for me. But a couple of points before you start spending any money. Beware the minimum weight limit, unless you prepare it as historic, and that restricts a huge amount what you can and can't do. The minimum weight for newly MSA log booked rally cars is 700kg for up to 1400cc, that is if your car is registered before the end of 1981. It's even higher for newer cars or over 1400cc.

My car even with all the extra stuff in it is just over 600kg, so 700kg is a lot more. I did have a lot of correspondence with the MSA when this was coming in (it was originally going to be over 900kg!) as did a lot of others and things improved to where they are now. But I stopped because they made my car exempt because it had an MSA log book before 2009. I did have some thoughts about possibly classifying the MM as a "2wd specialst rally car", where the weight limit is 620kg which is far more realistic, but for me it wasn't necessary. I suggest you contact the MSA and discuss it before starting, they seem to be realistic most of the time.

The other thing is wheels and tyres, choice is very limited now as most cars use much bigger wheels. A048s are available for 10", 12" or 13" they are a good all-rounder but nothing great but about all there is in 10" or 12". I use Avon ACB10's when it is bone dry, but they are only in 13", Avon CR500's make a good wet but again are only in 13". Dunlop CR311 are available in 13" but cost nearly twice A048's. That's about it for tarmac and I suspect it will become more limited. I'm not sure what historic tyres are available.

Let me know if you do decide to go ahead and I can point you away from some of the issues I've had over the years.

Last modified January 31st, 2013, 14:58:00 by jimnaylor
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 2
Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Sport  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules