Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >  Right - join Part A to Part B etc, etc, etc
0 Members Browsing (83 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: « ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... » : All Reply Recommend Print
  Author    Right - join Part A to Part B etc, etc, etc  (currently 26,264 views)
Graham Bichard
Posted on: June 10th, 2017, 20:37:44 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Bent, it is the curved blade type but I think thats why you can turn the blades over.
It's designed to be either blow or suck with the air:
https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/electric-radiator-cooling-fan-10-inch-diameter-rad-fan-10
I've crossed the wires over and it sorted the direction of flow.  I need to get some more radiator fan zip ties and we're good to go with that.  And the engine really does sound sweet when I start it up - it idles beautifully!

Can anyone help with photos of how you've fixed the front panel (in front of the bonnet) to the car?  Also how you've fixed the front of the bonnet (I'm assuming people have it front hinging).

I've put gelcoat on the holes for the light covers - I'll look to sort the fixings next.  I've also started putting some of the interior pieces in place, loosely at the minute.

It really does seem like things are coming together  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 420 - 599
mike brown
Posted on: June 11th, 2017, 07:07:07 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

I have used these https://www.bighead.co.uk/the-original-bighead/ in the past for the front panel.
I've used both bonnet pins and front hinge for the bonnet. Personally I'd use some sort of pins and have the bonnet removable as it gets in the way when hinged.
Mike
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 421 - 599
Neil KilBane
Posted on: June 11th, 2017, 10:02:37 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

just a little fine tuning left to do.

I use these little fasteners.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 422 - 599
Graham Bichard
Posted on: June 17th, 2017, 15:42:14 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Neil, I'm not sure they'll pass IVA.
I've fitted the headlight covers using button headed screws.  I'm not even sure if these will be acceptable - I may have to change for countersunk headed screws if these aren't okay:

These aren't a brilliant fit, and I'm not sure if I want to fit a slim rubber surround to these yet.  And I need to re-secure the drivers side brackets (fixing the nuts onto the bracket.
But they fit!

And I made a right hash of trying to fibreglass the filler hose cover this afternoon.  A bloody awkward position to work in, and the hottest day of the year to date resulted in 'blue air'.  Hope the neighbours weren't in their garden!
I'll try again tomorrow (perhaps).
Then onto fitting the interior.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 423 - 599
Olly Lewis
Posted on: June 20th, 2017, 15:28:03 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Graham,

Is this kit more than 10 years old? If so there is an IVA exemption which you maybe eligible for!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 424 - 599
Graham Bichard
Posted on: July 4th, 2017, 18:25:01 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Olly, my car is chassis no. 3, constructed 2006 so is more than 10 years old (just!).
But I thought all unregistered kits would need to pass the current test regime.
Do you have details of this possible loop-hole?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 425 - 599
Graham Bichard
Posted on: July 9th, 2017, 20:17:12 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

So this weekend I put the door cards in place = Drivers door:

Passenger door:

I received the carpet set when I bought the car.  Trying to lay these out I don't know if I'm missing some pieces, or I'm being thick, but I can't work out what's meant to go where with these pieces (less the centre piece (gear lever & handbrake) and the foot wells):
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 426 - 599
Graham Bichard
Posted on: July 9th, 2017, 20:23:09 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

I tidied up my whiteboard too.  I'm not pretending this is a definitive list, but it can't be too far off:

Things like the tracking I'll need to farm out (some interior bits too if I need a carpet), but I should be able to tick a few items off the list in the next few weeks.
Has anyone got any advise on changing the clutch cylinder?  I had the brakes and the clutch bled when the last electrics were done, the garage did say the clutch cylinder might not be as it should.  The pedal has gone solid now - it could be hydrostatic lock (I'll try and bleed it again), but if needs be I have a pattern part I can try and swap out.  But I've never done this before - is it easy to do?

Last modified July 9th, 2017, 20:23:46 by Graham Bichard
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 427 - 599
Graham Bichard
Posted on: July 10th, 2017, 18:28:54 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Hmm - so Photobucket now wants $399 to host photos.
Any other places on the web you use for this?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 428 - 599
mike brown
Posted on: July 10th, 2017, 20:09:26 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

I'm currently in the same boat on this and another forum and know several others who have deleted their photobucket accounts.
Mike
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 429 - 599
Graham Bichard
Posted on: July 23rd, 2017, 09:31:32 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Okay, so I've got a week off work and am hoping to make some decent progress on the car.
I've started putting the bits of the interior that I have in already.  I've been in contact with someone regarding a carpet, just waiting for a reply.
I've also sent an email to Speedy cables regarding having a throttle cable made up without a response.  Can anyone recommend someone else who could produce this?
I've cut the holes in the bonnet for the aerocatches - I'm working on the forward fixing at the moment.  Still don't have a solution in my head for the forward panel that'll leave no protrusions - perhaps I'll give Rory a call as I can't recall any catches on their demonstrator.
I need to service my big car this week.  The weather doesn't look good for the back end of the week, so I might get that out the way tomorrow meaning I can hide in the garage if it rains, to attempt the clutch cylinder.
And has anyone sorted another photo hosting site that's nice and easy to use?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 430 - 599
Neil KilBane
Posted on: July 23rd, 2017, 14:03:16 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

just a little fine tuning left to do.

http://www.postimg.org .

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 431 - 599
Graham Bichard
Posted on: July 27th, 2017, 18:33:51 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

Thanks Neil.
Managed to get the bonnet fitted:

I glued two brackets to the forward edge of the bonnet, then put a sheet of fibreglass over this when it had dried:

I suspect I'll try and do something similar for the front panel.

Last modified July 27th, 2017, 18:34:51 by Graham Bichard
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 432 - 599
Graham Bichard
Posted on: July 27th, 2017, 18:44:14 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

More importantly I tried to sort out the clutch slave cylinder.  I've replaced this with the pattern part I had, and am happy this is bled through, but its still the same as before.
I suspect I may have put this together incorrectly, and am hoping you can help.

In the photo (taken from the RHF wheel arch) the nut on the shaft (at the bottom right) should 'stick out' from the clutch cover - on my mini it's about ~1/2".  On pressing the clutch pedal, the rod (top right) extends, pivoting around and forcing the nut and shaft in, which disengages the clutch.
Now, while I can pull the shaft out (by using the mechanical advantage of the arm) it slowly but surely pulls itself in until the nut is sitting against the clutch cover.
I'm assuming with only one hydraulic line fitted this can't be the problem.  Which leads me to think I've incorrectly assembled the clutch (put a spring in the wrong place?).  Hope I've explained that well enough - any ideas?

Oh, and made some decent progress on the interior too.  After speaking to a couple of people, they've convinced me to have a crack at the interior carpet myself.  Now - just need to find some car interior carpet the same/similar to the panels I already have  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 433 - 599
Pete Crudgington
Posted on: July 27th, 2017, 21:57:02 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Graham,

Any chance you could have used a brake master cylinder instead of a clutch one, sounds like if you keep pumping the clutch it keeps moving the actuation rod in ?

You also have a verto clutch cover here, do you have a veto clutch on the engine?

Cheers

Pete
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 434 - 599
Pages: « ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... » : All Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules